Friday, January 06, 2006

The Cradle Will Rock

SECOND HAPPY DANCE! I'm still here, just very focused on getting all of the sewing projects knocked out before D-Day. This is the baby cradle that I slept in, given to my mother by my maternal grandparents as a shower gift. My two brothers and my sister have all slept in this cradle, and it is has earned its worth as an heirloom piece in our family.


Before the arrival of my first child, I sanded down the old finish, smoothed it out, and gave it a fresh stain and satin finish. She looks brand new, and has continued to cradle a new generation in our family. I saw this fabric while shopping online for my crib fabric, and I couldn't resist ditching the gender neutral mint green cradle bumper pad I had made previously, for two yards of this totally girly fabric.


Jack is lobbying hard for the cradle to go in his room, since Grace got the crib. Here is one area mommy won't budge. As is tradition, Faith will be by my side of the bed nested in the cradle.


So what sewing projects are left? My long neglected 99 inch curtains for the green room. I'm almost done, just need to add the fringe, pleats, and buttons on the last panel and they'll be ready to go. However, I'm about to do a third happy dance, as I have given up on my dream to make a duvet cover and curtains for our room. For 6 years, the marriage bed has been the most neglected area of the house. No duvet cover, just a dirty old feather comforter and some boring white sheets. Ken's big giant pillow and my little scrap of a pillow. With Ken's full support, I announced last week that I'm just going to find something. If I face reality squarely, I'll never get the bedding and drapery for our room done.

There is one condition that Ken has made, and that is I can't put the new bedding or drapery up until the room is completely clean. No nesting piles. No small piles of junk that haven't moved in three years. And so I'm off...because my stuff has arrived, and I can hardly bear it! Our bedroom will finally have some decor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home